Trashigang is the easternmost point on the highway and is the country’s largest district. The district has an altitude ranging from 600 m to over 4000m and Bhutan’s largest river, the Dangmechu, flows through the district. Trashigang town, on the hillside above the Gamri Chhu (river), was once the center for a busy trade with Tibet. Today it is the junction of the east-west highway, with road connections to Samdrup Jongkhar and then into the Indian state of Assam. This town is also used as the market place for the semi nomadic people from Merak and Sakteng whose way of dress is unique in Bhutan.
- Trashigang Dzong
Trashigang Dzong sits on a jagged piece of land jutting out from the town and is the first landmark that can be seen from the road winding up to Trashigang. The Dzong was founded according to the prophecies of Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal in order to consolidate indomitable power and unparallel reign over the whole of the eastern regions. It was built in 1659 and commands a spectacular view over the valley, for which it is the administrative center. The Dzong withstood several invasions from Tibetan troops. Due to its location Trashigang Dzong is one of the most strategically placed Dzongs in Bhutan. The present Dzong was enlarged by Dzongpon Dopola in 1936.
- Chador Lhakhang
Chardor Lhakhang is located at Bartsham village, one and half hour drive from Trashigang. It is known for fascinating tales revolving around its famous thumbsize replica of Chador, Vajrapani.
- Bremung Lhakhang
Bremung Lhakhang is located in a village called Bidung, a ten minutes drive from Bartsham. It dates back to the 15th century and a sacred relic is the embalmed remains of its founder Kuenga Wangpo, son of Terton Pema Lingpa.
- Kupijigtsam Lhakhang
Kupijigtsam Lhakhang or the temple of the cuckoo is built in the 15th century. It is located in the village of Yangneer. This lhakhang is another sacred monument in Trashigang. Besides one can visit the Tsengmi lhakhang in Gongthung village and the Jarung Khashor temple.
- Kanglung Zangtopelri
Kanlung Zangtopelri is located in Kanglung near sherubtse College. It was built in the early 1970’s at the initiative of the late Tamzhing Jagar, the Minister for Home and Cultural Affairs. The Lhakhang consists of the most intricately designed statues. It also houses a monastic school headed by a Khenpo.
- Sherubtse College
The college is located in Kanglung, about 25 kilometers south of Trashigang. Sherubtse College was founded in late 1960s as a higher secondary school. Until recently it was one and only higher learning institute in the country. Only the top ranked in merit wise students are enrolled in this college, so it produces efficient and much needed human resources of the country.
- Yonphu Lhakhang
Further about 7 kilometers drive up from Sherubtse College near the Domestic Airport of Yonphula is the oldest temple in Trashigang – the Yonphu Lhakhang. The establishment of the Lhakhang cannot be ascertained. It houses several sacred relics and a Tercham that is conducted twice in a year commemorates the feats of religious luminaries like Guru Padmasambhava.
- Ranjung Lhakhang
After Trashigang town, another commercial hub in Trashigang is the Rangjung town. It is the place where people of five gewogs comes together to do business activities. One can also visit the magnificient Ranjung lhakhang. It houses a monk body supported by HH Garab Rinpoche.
- Radi Village
Radhi village is located just above Ranjung town. It is known for cultivating rice among the other Gewog in Trashigang, therefore the Radhi Village is known as the Rice Bowl of the East. One can visit the traditional farm houses and peep into women folks strapped to the traditional looms. The silk textiles found in the handicraft shops around the country are mostly the hard work and products of people of Radhi.
- Namdru Choling Lhakhang
Namdu Choling lhakhang widely known as the Phongmey lhakhang is located in Phongmey village, an hour drive from Ranjung town. It was built in late 1890’s. The lhakhang serves the spiritual needs of the village